License and Permit Information (2024)

General Hunting License Requirements

Resident Hunting licenses can be purchasedOn The Go APP,GoOutDoorsTennessee, at aTWRA Licensed Agentor at aRegional Office,

Most licenses,except the Lifetime Sportsman License andspecialty licenses, such as Wheelchair, DisabledVeteran, SSI (Supplemental Security Income), andBlind Fishing licenses, are available from mostcounty clerks, sporting goods stores, hardwarestores, marinas,On The Go APP,GoOutDoorsTennessee, at aTWRA Licensed Agentor at aRegional Office,

Hunting licenses are valid from the dateof purchase until 365 days after purchase formost license types.

Note: A Social Security Number is required byfederal law to purchase a Tennessee hunting orfishing license.

Seasonsare subject to change. License fees aresubject to change. Migratory bird seasons aredetermined by federal regulations.

Native Tennessean

Nonresidents who were born in Tennessee mayapply for Native Tennessean annual licenses.These licenses provide non-residents born in thestate but no longer residing in the state, the opportunityto purchase annual Tennessee hunting/fishing/trapping licenses at the same cost as aresident. First-time applicants mustapply by using theNative Tennessean Annual License Application.Native non-residentswho have previously applied can renew theirlicenses via theOn The Go APP,GoOutDoorsTennessee, at aTWRA Licensed Agentor at aRegional Office,

Misplaced a License?

All paper copies of hunting licensesincluding lifetime licenses may be printed at nocost atGoOutdoorsTennessee.comat any time.You can also replace your license at any licenseagent for a fee of $8.00. Please verify your addressat the time of purchase.

Resident licensescan be purchased by:

• Persons who possess a valid Tennessee driver’slicense or Tennessee state ID issued bythe Department of Safety. Tennessee statelaw requires drivers to obtain a Tennesseedriver's license within 30 days of residency.Out-of-state driver's licenses are only acceptedfor Military Personnel and Students meetingthe criteria below.

• Military personnel on active duty in Tennesseeand children under 16 years of age whor*side with them, regardless of Tennesseeresident status.

• Students who are enrolled in a Tennesseeschool, college, or university for at least sixmonths, with an appropriate student ID.

• Persons who do not drive or do not possess avalid driver's license from another state, butwho have lived in Tennessee for 90 consecutivedays with the genuine intent of makingTennessee their permanent home, may proveresidency by presenting to a TWRA licenseagent any two of the following documents:

» Current Tennessee voter registration card;

» Current Tennessee vehicle registration ortitle;

» Form I-94 issued by the U.S. Citizenship &Immigration Service;

» Current rental/mortgage contract or receiptincluding deed of sale for propertyor receipt for payment of Tennessee realestate taxes within last year.

License Exemptions

  • Residents born before March 1, 1926 (with proof of age and residency).
  • Military personnel on leave carrying leave papers.
  • Landowners, their spouses, children, and children's spouses who hunt on their own farmland. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee but need not reside on the land. This license exemption does not apply if the farmland is owned jointly or in common by unrelated persons
  • Resident grandchildren (under the age of 16) and resident great-grandchildren (under the age of 16) who hunt on farmland that is owned by their resident grandparents or great-grandparents. (See below, Farmland Owner License Exemption.)
  • Tenants, their spouses, and their dependent children who hunt on farmland which is owned by an individual or a family. The aforementioned must be residents of Tennessee and must actually reside on the land and have permission from the landowner to hunt. A tenant is a person who, for money, free rent, or other consideration, cares for farmland. The tenancy must be agricultural in nature
  • First cousins who own farmland jointly or in common may fish and hunt small game on the farmland. Their children may fish and hunt small game as well. Persons hunting without a license under a resident farmland owner exemption must complete and sign a statement attesting where the property is located and how this land qualifies for a landowner exemption. Persons may complete the form in advance and carry it with them while hunting or they may complete the form when requested in the field by a TWRA official or when checking game.
  • Landowners and their children hunting on their parent’s land under this exemption are also exempt from Hunter Education Certification requirements and blaze orange requirements.
  • Mandatory Hunter Education
  • All hunters, resident or nonresident, born on or after Jan. 1, 1969, must possess proof that they have successfully completed a Hunter Education course. Hunter Education certification is accepted from all other states. Those under 10 years of age do not need a Hunter Education certificate but must be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age who must remain in a position to take immediate control of the hunting device.
License and Permit Information (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Jonah Leffler

Last Updated:

Views: 6385

Rating: 4.4 / 5 (65 voted)

Reviews: 80% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Jonah Leffler

Birthday: 1997-10-27

Address: 8987 Kieth Ports, Luettgenland, CT 54657-9808

Phone: +2611128251586

Job: Mining Supervisor

Hobby: Worldbuilding, Electronics, Amateur radio, Skiing, Cycling, Jogging, Taxidermy

Introduction: My name is Jonah Leffler, I am a determined, faithful, outstanding, inexpensive, cheerful, determined, smiling person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.